Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Escape From El Reno

Don't get me wrong, the people in El Reno were very nice, the manager at the motel was very nice and had no problem allowing us a late check-out since Niece had a 4-hour drive to come get us. 

By the time we had eaten a good dinner, got back to our room and called Niece the beds were mighty comfy and we were glad to have them. 

The next morning we got up, had some coffee in the room then went downstairs for breakfast. We liked the fact that the housekeeping staff were having coffee and discussing the day ahead in the breakfast area. I know some people would look down on such things and for heaven's sake when I have worked in housekeeping for the chain motels I have never been allowed to even go get a cup of coffee in the customer area. 

We finished our breakfast and went upstairs to get things rounded up to go to Joplin. 

It happened to be Niece's birthday and as I looked on her FaceBook page she said she was on her way to El Reno, OK to "Rescue Thelma, Louise, and the Taco Bell mascot". 

Well! It wasn't like we started out in a Mustang.

Niece called when she got to town because her GPS took her to someplace other than the motel. I told her I would go down and find someone to help her and call her back. On my way down the maintenance man was trying to load a queen size box springs on the elevator. He saw me coming, pulled the box springs out and stood aside. I told him to come on, there was plenty of room, I helped him load the box springs and helped him pull it out when we got to the ground floor. 

Niece arrived shortly in her red car and we got a luggage cart to take upstairs and get her Momma. And the Taco Bell mascot.

Its a good thing we didn't have more stuff. But then, considering Sis 2 had not cleaned out her car since 2002, maybe the amount of stuff wasn't that bad, but we filled Niece's car up. 

By the time we got back to Joplin Niece's face was hurting from laughing so much and none of us had a bit of change because Oklahoma toll booths had eaten it all. 

Sis took Niece's family out to dinner to celebrate her birthday and it was so great to have the family around the table talking and laughing. 

I feel sorry for people who don't have family that can all gather for a dinner, we all need to be thankful for people, by blood or by heart, we all need family.

We spent the night at Niece's house, I loved it when I woke up during the night and her tortise shell kitty, Butter, was stretched out asleep on top of me. I missed my kitties. 

The next day Hubby came to Joplin and picked us up to take us to our home north of Springfield. 

Sis settled into a recliner and slept 12 or 13 hours. I did wake her up for brownies and ice cream but I figured she would forgive me for that. 

The next morning we left my house, still on track to get Sis 2's house on the market. 

Sis was now driving my 1986 Lincoln Town Car. I had always called my car "Abe". Sis renamed it - "Tug Boat Annie". Aww... Who cares? The big car brought us to our original goal.   


No comments: